As of 8th May 2019 new applications will be placed on a waiting list.
With the advent and popularity of the Horsham Art Fair, the numbers of artists joining HAOS has grown considerably. In order that we can accommodate as many of our existing artists and creators as possible, in the forthcoming 2019 Art Fair, we have placed a moratorium on new ACTIVE ARTISTS applications that have access to exhibit ion the Horsham Art Fair. (an ACTIVE ARTIST has to have been a member for the previous year to be eligble to take a satnd in the Contemporary Art Fair in October)
HOWVERE, YOU CAN JOIN AS A FRIEND ARTIST…see bottom of this page
HAOS is a network of artists living or creating their art in the Horsham District.
We work in a variety of mediums and vary in styles and standard. Some are just discovering the joys of dabbling in paint or fabric, whilst others are professional or semi-professional artists. We aim to share information and ideas, give mutual support, and provide opportunities to exhibit and sell our artwork.
Annual Art Trail and Annual Art Fair
We have established two main events each year The HAOS Art Trail for two consecutive weekends in the Summer and The HAOS Contemporary Art Fair in the Autumn. Only HAOS artists can participate in these events. Because of the amount of organising and work involved interested artists will need to register their interest in taking part well in advance. Email is the main way of keeping in touch with what is going on, and networking with other HAOS artists as well as attending the monthly meeting.
We meet up about once a month usually on a Monday evening in the Lounge at the Methodist Church, London Road, Horsham, West Sussex RH12 1AN.
We are a self-help group so the proviso of joining HAOS is that you help out where you can during the year and share the work load of running the meetings, setting up and putting on events and helping with fundraising and other tasks that need to be done for such a group to run smoothly.
Roles and Responsibilities’
Each year roles, both lead and support, are re-allocated so the load is shared. The roles each artist performs are listed in a column within the Network list XL file sent at intervals to all HAOS artists. Both written guidance and support from other HAOS artists who have already done the task, are there to ease you into the new role. So all will feel supported. Over the course of the year requests will also be made for help to support those taking on these roles. We have no ‘experts’; we all learn as we go along and build on information and results of previous years.
Our HAOS year runs 1 January to 31 December. We ask for an annual fee ( £15 for 2020) from each artist for the year to go toward venue hire cost and insurance for the venue for meetings. As an ‘informal’ group, we are not ‘members’ – we do not hold an AGM or have a membership fee.
HAOS Social Media
As wellas the Website where artists are invited be represented on, HAOS have a presence on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Criteria for becoming an ACTIVE ARTITS or FRIEND ARTIST of HAOS
The criteria to belong to HAOS requires that;
- You are over 18 years of age
- You live within the Horsham District
- or you undertake, creating you Art in the Horsham District.
- Check the map below or sse this link to Google MAP to check if you live or create your art is on the Horsham District
- You agree to allowing your details displayed on the HAOS website (with image)
- As an ACTIVE ARTISTS you undertake to support the group by volunteering for one of the tasks
- You agree to pay the annual fee
If you you meet the criteria and wish to join as a FRIEND ARTISTS read the details and follow the link to join as a FRIEND ARTIST
Becoming a Friend of the Horsham Artists Open Studios allows you to attend our monthly meetings, network with other local artists and take part in the annual Horsham Contemporary Art Trail.
Our full membership numbers have swelled in recent years, to the point that we have had to place a moratorium accepting new members that might want to take part in the annual Horsham Art Fair, which can currently only provide stands for 47 artists.
However, in acknowledging that some of our artists do not wish to take part in the Art Fair, and maybe have little time to take on supporting roles in the group, which is something that we require of a full member, we have introduced the “Friends” membership.
NOTE, as with our full membership, you must be living or creating your Art in the Horsham District.
Benefits of being a Friend of Horsham Artists
- Reduced Annual Fee (for 2020 £10)
- Can attend as many or as little of the 10 monthly meetings per year
- Can participate in the Horsham Contemporary Art Trail
- Will receive the Art Matters News letter, and can promote their exhibition via the Newsletter
- Not obliged to volunteer for a support role, but certainly welcome to help us in any way possible
- Will have priority for becoming a full member as and when numbers allow. ( a waiting list will continue on first come basis)
- Access to the Horsham Artists closed Facebook Group
- Publicity opportunities via the Horsham Artists Facebook and Instagram pages
- A Friend is not entitled to take a stand in the Horsham Art Fair, but may be invited if space allows.
- A Friend does not have to attend a minimum number of monthly meetings to fulfill membership obligations
- A friend is not obliged to take on a voluntary, supporting role